appreciating our earth and its resources
Global warming is a pressing issue of modern times which must be addressed urgently. The increasing consumption of fossil fuels is the major cause for rising sea levels, ice caps melting, depletion of the ozone layer, diseases spreading further and the extinction of species – eventually us.
Earth appreciation aim to promote the importance of respecting and loving our planet and all of its natural resources through appreciating businesses/business services which use natural resources and take on their environmentally friendly role in society.
Facts about global warming
- Since 1880, the average temperature has risen by 1.4-Fahrenheit degrees
- Humans are emitting more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, faster than the absorbing rates of plants and the oceans.
- Sea levels have risen about 7 inches in the in the last 100 years, which is more than the previous 2000 years combined.
- Global warming can lead to massive food and water shortages and has a life threatening impact on the wildlife.
- The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events.
- Climate change increases the amount of smog in the air and causes plants to produce more pollen, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. People with respiratory illnesses, such as asthma, will be impacted much worse as it becomes increasingly difficult to breathe.
Check out NASA’s climate change research here : http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Link Between Global Temperatures And Greenhouse Gas Emissions
“There is significant and substantial evidence that atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gasses including carbon dioxide are correlated with global temperatures. The reasoning is fairly simple as greenhouse gases act to trap in heat that bounces off the Earth’s surface and prohibits it from escaping our atmosphere. The greenhouse gases change the equilibrium of heat exchange between the Earth and Sun. However, linking global climate change to one single source can oftentimes be difficult and inconclusive. This, in a large part, is why it has taken climate scientists decades to determine with almost definiteness that the warming of the Earth we are witnessing is linked to greenhouse gas emissions in recent centuries.
As global temperatures rise, the sea levels also rise from melting of glaciers and polar ice. The oceans of the world absorb about a large majority of the greenhouse gasses emitted into the air through carbon dioxide dissolution and the carbonate factory. In addition, the pH of the ocean water is becoming more acidic from the increased carbon dioxide and hence carbonic acid in oceans. Warming and increasing acidity of our oceans is reflected directly on ocean life and as scuba divers know, the extensive coral reef ecosystems in tropical oceans.” – Source (Forbes : Earth Day 2016)
Our part in changing the environment for better
Earth Appreciation Boulder will promote businesses which follow their environmental duty as part of society and continue to raise awareness of the dangers and consequences of using fossil fuels and producing waste.
If you know any businesses which help to create a better environment or would like to be featured in our business section please contact us via our contact page.
Thank you for reading and love our earth – it doesn’t need us we need it.